Database Interop Hackathon/Provider Overviews
From Evolutionary Informatics Working Group
Initial draft material for a survey to collect and document reference metadata about participating data providers in advance of the event.
- Project Details
- implementation language (java/perl/php/python)
- toolkits used (e.g. BioPerl)
- which license(s) they use (e.g. GPL, CC, LGPL)
- which objects they export (with reference to the glossary)
- what interfaces they currently implement (taxon search, blast search, lookup-by-accession)
- Data, metadata, and I/O profile
- what kinds of data does a provider store?
- what metadata does a provider store?
- Is there a list of metadata terms and values?
- Are any metadata fields controlled?
- Is a schema publicly available that describes the data and metadata model?
- Are there sample records that show some of the diversity of data and metadata?
- What input formats and ways of data import does a provider support right now?
- What output formats does a provider support right now?
- Is the data downloadable?
- Use Cases
- who they'd like to consume (e.g. "I want data from project X and integrate it in my own output")
- who they'd like to supply to (e.g. "I want my data to by integrated in the output of project X")
- Requirements for use-cases
- to satisfy the use cases, what functionality needs to be implemented (in broad terms)
- to meet the requirements, what needs to be added (e.g. homegrown code, 3rd party libraries, architectural changes)