TreeBase is a database developed with the stated purposes of archiving published data sets and supporting meta-analyses.
We are mainly interested in a current effort to develop a new schema for TreeBase II (these are images of the schema; Arlin has UML and XMI versions from the developers that he can share within the evoinfo group).
- The specification language is SQL
- The scope covers character data, trees, and some analysis information; essentially it is a large subset of what is covered in a NEXUS file
- Within this scope, the schema has similar limitations to NEXUS (poor support for specifying models and complex data sets)
- Development is controlled by the administrators
- We are not aware of a versioning policy.
- We are not aware of a conformance policy. The administrators are loose about the NEXUS format for uploading data to TreeBase. In the past they have corrected invalid files received from users.
- TreeBase is actively used and we expect that the TreeBase II update will take place eventually
- TreeBase is widely used for archiving in some areas of the systematics community. It has not been widely used for meta-analyses, to our knowledge. Currently the interface is very limited.