From Evolutionary Informatics Working Group
- specification : OBO format, OWL conversion available via OBO
- scope : multiple alignments of DNA,RNA and protein, including protein families, sub-families, sequences. Structure, function information are described as sequence features. Links to OBO ontologies (GO, SO, InterPro, NCBI taxonomy, etc.) are possible.
- uses : interoperability of multiple alignment software, data integration for protein family functional analysis
- extensible : yes
- open : yes, available on OBO site
- controlling authority : consortium led by JD Thompson (IGBMC, France)
- update and versioning policy : sourceforge project
- conformance policy : no
- status : implementation
- used in MACSIMS information management system, alignment editors JalView, Cinema
- Enrico's group has modified MAO to use it for analyzing concrete data (e.g., assign a semantics to data files). A preliminary addition of some important properties is discussed at http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~epontell/Ontologies/sequence.owl. --- Enrico 7/10/07
See also Julie's presentation.